Hidetaka Miyazaki, the chief executive of From Software and the creator of Bloodborne and the Dark Souls series, was honored with the lifetime achievement award of the 36th Golden Joystick Awards yesterday in London.
Miyazaki’s career honor was one highlight of an evening that also saw Fortnite Battle Royale take overall game of the year honors; God of War win for Best Storytelling; Red Dead Redemption 2 take the Critics’ Choice Award, and the Xbox Adaptive Controller earn a citation for Outstanding Contribution.
“To receive such a prestigious award from the Golden Joysticks fills me with great surprise and a sense of great honor.” Miyazaki said in his acceptance speech. “I am tremendously grateful to everyone who has played, enjoyed and appreciated our games. Rather than myself, this award goes to the many people who have built these games with me, and shared their passion with me over the years.”
God of War also won Best Visual Design, Best Audio and PlayStation Game of the Year; its four honors were the most of any one game. Also notable: Unknown Worlds and its survival adventure Subnautica won the Breakthrough Award and PC Game of the Year, respectively. Subnautica is due to launch for PlayStation 4 and Xbox One on Dec. 4. Subnautica had also been nominated for Ultimate Game of the Year, which Fortnite won.
Accepting the Outstanding Contribution Award, Evelyn Thomas, Microsoft’s Accessiblity Program Manager called the Xbox Adaptive Controller “designed with inclusivity at heart.
“We continue to be moved by the recognition it has received, helping it to stand out as a true first-of-its-kind, in gaming and beyond,” she added.
With the Lifetime Achievement Award, Miyazaki joins the company of Ken Levine (2013), Hideo Kojima (2014), Satoru Iwata (2015), Eiji Aonuma (2016) and Sid Meier (2017).
The 2018 Golden Joystick Awards can be viewed on Twitch. The full list of awards and their winners:
- Best Storytelling: God of War
- Best Competitive Game: Fortnite Battle Royale
- Best Cooperative Game: Monster Hunter: World
- Best Visual Design: God of War
- Best Indie Game: Dead Cells
- Best Audio: God of War
- Still Playing Award: World of Tanks
- Best Performer: Bryan Dechart, Detroit: Become Human
- Esports Game of the Year: Overwatch
- Best VR Game: The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim VR
- Studio of the Year: SIE Santa Monica Studio
- Best New Streamer/Broadcaster: Bryan Dechart and Amelia Rose Blaire
- Mobile Game of the Year: PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds Mobile
- PC Game of the Year: Subnautica
- PlayStation Game of the Year: God of War
- Xbox Game of the Year: Forza Horizon 4
- Nintendo Game of the Year: Octopath Traveler
- Breakthrough Award: Unknown Worlds
- Most Wanted Game: Cyberpunk 2077
- Critics Choice Award: Red Dead Redemption 2
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Hidetaka Miyazaki
- Outstanding Contribution: Xbox Adaptive Controller
- Ultimate Game of the Year: Fortnite Battle Royale